2006 Action/War Rated R 140 Minutes
|In Theaters||December 20, 2006|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||May 22, 2007|
|On DVD||May 22, 2007|
Nominated for 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima tells the untold story of the Japanese soldiers who defended their homeland against invading American forces during World War II.
With little defense other than sheer will and the volcanic rock of Iwo Jima itself, the unprecedented tactics of General Tadamichi Kuribayashi (Ken Watanabe, The Last Samurai) and his men transform what was predicted to be a swift defeat into nearly 40 days of heroic and resourceful combat.
Their sacrifices, struggles, courage and compassion live on in the taut, gripping film Rolling Stone calls "unique and unforgettable." It is the powerful companion piece to Flags of Our Fathers.
Rated R for graphic war violence.
Box office gross: $13.7 million. View box office history.
Presented in Japanese.
Released by Warner Bros. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Warner Bros. to release kick-butt Clint Eastwood collection
- 'The Departed' takes home the biggest prizes of the Oscars
- Oscar noms 'Dream'y, full of 'Little' surprises
- 'Dreamgirls' and 'Borat' among the most memorable winners at the Golden Globes
- 'Babel' leads Golden Globe nominations with 7
- The AFI announces its Top 10 for 2006 in film and TV